An idea: About collecting lot of your small ideas

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 24 18:27:20 UTC 2001

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> --On Tuesday, April 24, 2001 8:08 AM -0700 GXran Hultgren
> <gohu at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > --- Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> > [SNIP]
> >> I would really like that everybody seeing some small problems just record
> >> them. I started to record the ones I fall upon in the Squeak World Tour
> >> wiki (note that such a changes could be made into the current versions
> >> too).
> >
> > I have felt the same way lots of times.
> [snip]
> > Then when looking at the code you can - if you want - access all those
> > thoughts by others!
> >
> > Well, I do not know - it sounded smart when I wrote it... :-)
>
> Sounds smart now :) Check out the Scan and Gossip stuff on the Swiki...I
> tend to think a similar design for generic metadata (including annotations)
> could work well.

Something along those lines that I had wanted to do can be found at:

	http://oasis.canis.uiuc.edu:8080/Squeak/The+Visible+Squeak

The idea was to interlink method versions and commentary about classes from the mailing
list, and in addition to more traditional text indexing do some Oasis-like stuff to
generate some kind of links, and do some Interspace-like stuff to generate other sorts of
links.  It would be a fair amount of effort, some of which I've already done ( there is a
lot of grunt work as well as some interesting technical problems to tackle ).

In terms of grunt work, I've gathered as many versions of Squeak as I could get hold of,
up to version 2.8.  So, I have both .source and .change files for all of these, as well as
the .image files.  The other thing I did over the years was that I saved all of the Squeak
mailing list messages I had.  Recently, I lost all of those, but luckily not before
archiving them... I haven't restored this yet, but it should still be there.  I do have
some gaps in the records though.  Both of these things are really huge, in the many
megabyte range. But, if you have a fast link, I could try to make them available for a
short time until my websites are shut down ( my lab has died, so we move on ).

I may try to pick this up again at a future date, but there is already quite a lot that
I've tried picking up over the years.

- les