Bug in package browser (fwd)

Jörn Eyrich Joern.Eyrich at brokat.com
Mon Apr 30 11:47:10 UTC 2001

Scott A Crosby wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
> > I could not reproduce this.
> >
> > Which version of Squeak are you using and what is your latest update?

I'm seeing this in Windows with Squeak3.0 of 4 Feb 2001, latest update #3522

> 3.0 VM UNIX. Most recent 3.1 beta image... (all updates).. Not
> sure how to get the most recent update number out of squeak.

evaluate "Smalltalk lastUpdateString", for example - or in the brown tab "Squeak" flap on the left of the default image, click on "about this system"

> Open up a 'package browser', pick any package group: ('System')

if I select something in the second pane at this point, the following doesn't crash

> Then for the pane listing individual packages within that group,
> middle-click to get a menu, select 'add item'. It will ask if you want to
> add a package called 'Catagory-Name'. Type anything or just click 'OK'...
>
> CRASH into debugger.

Hm, I dug a bit deeper, and found this change works for me:
In Browser>>addSystemCategory
	self systemCategoryListIndex:
		(oldIndex = 0
			ifTrue: [self systemCategoryList size] "this was 'ifTrue: [ systemOrganizer categories size ]'"
			ifFalse: [oldIndex]).

"systemOrganizer categories" gives all "traditional" categories (e.g. "System-Support", ...), while "self systemCategoryList" is overridden in the package browser to only return the (i.e. "Support" in package "); so basically the problem was that it tried to select the last "traditional" category in a (shorter) list of only sub-categories.

But I really don't know the Browser machinery, so someone who is in the know should probably have a look at it (or, as Andreas can't reproduce it, someone has probably already fixed it)

Joern