Further update to Rolodex tutorial

Tansel tansel at rase.com
Wed Apr 25 15:37:56 UTC 2001

Hi,

John Hinsley wrote:

[snip]

> and should have it up by the weekend as the final version for comments.
> The only "big" thing that needs to be done is implement some kind of
> auto-dialer, but the thought occured that this would probably operate at
> a very low level and is probably OS specific. Come to think of it, I
> can't remember ever having seen an auto-dialer for a *nix, and I've seen
> no code for one on any system.
>
> Any ideas?

This should work on most systems connected to Hayes competible modems to give you "dial with a modem" capability. Find what serial port your modem uses from your control panels and make sure no other software is using the port (like Winfax) at the time. If you want to do other tricks with the modem, just find a Hayes command set.

|serialPort portNumber telNumber|
    telNumber _ '12125551212'.
    portNumber _ 3. "Could be different in your system"
    serialPort _ SerialPort new openPort: portNumber.
    serialPort nextPutAll: '+++ATDT', telNumber, Character cr asString.
    "Whatever you want to do instead of delay"
    (Delay forMilliseconds: 20000) wait.
    "Hang up"
    serialPort nextPutAll: 'ATH', Character cr asString.
    "Make sure you close the port"
     serialPort close.

Cheers

Tansel