How to enable profiling in Mac VM?

Fleeberz at aol.com Fleeberz at aol.com
Sat Apr 28 11:41:58 UTC 2001

If this has been posted, I sure can't find it ;-)

I goofed around, as new Squeakers often do, and managed to get Squeak to
create enough C sources so that I could compile a working VM. (Whatever I can
get from Squeak 3.1 Alpha, update 3910.)  Looking through the code, I saw
that I could remove a comment and allow profiling... I did that, recompiled,
verified that the profiling code was there (have necessary library, too, this
is for PPC non-Carbon).

Back into Squeak with the new VM, looking around in the Method Browser, I
found profile, profile: and similar. Pulling up a browser on profile: showed
some code to profile a block; I tried manually executing, in order, the
"steps" shown in the code. (did this in a text window with "doIts," since I'm
still too wet behind the ears to know how to specify a "block" - don't tell
anyone, eh? ;-)

Problem? Can't seem to ever create the "Profile.out" file at any point when
the profile is dumped and/or the VM quits (Quit from Squeak world menu or VM
"Mac menubar" Quit).

Anyone with the patience to walk me through the basics of what I should be
doing?

BTW, the VM sure is a lot slower with the profiling code compiled in!

Thank you all,
Jean