consolidated downloads?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Wed Apr 4 16:53:53 UTC 2001

It would be nice to have all downloads (stable and alpha) consolidated on
squeak.org with the following information:

    - platform notes (specific to each OS)
    - release notes
    - installation instructions

Preferably, for each platform, you would have one downloadable file for the
latest stable release, and one downloadable file for the latest alpha
release.  The downloadable file would contain everything necessary (vm,
changes, sources, plugins, etc) to install and run that version of squeak.
Credit should also be given to whomever bundles up a build.

Additionally, it might be useful to have a section for each platform that
has "custom builds" for more advanced users.  This might be where someone
has made a build with everything pluginized, or all plugins built-in, or a
minimal image download, etc.  But, I would keep these clearly separate from
the main downloads (the latest stable and alpha for each platform).

Ideally, everything (all downloads) would be on squeak.org, making it easier
to maintain, archive, and mirror.  Also, it might be good for the platform
maintainers (or others) to be able to maintain or update the downloads for a
given platform directly.

- Stephen