x86 jitter? (One more try!)

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Sun Apr 8 02:26:33 UTC 2001

Hi PhiHo (and anyone else interested),

I've just uploaded a variant of the Win32 sources to

http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/alpha/w32-j3.11.tar.gz

[Note to Marcus: These sources contain the consolidated changes against the
latest x86 tree from your site. It would be useful if you could run a diff
on the two and integrate the modifications in the generic x86 tree. There's
also a file COMPILING.win32 in the win32 subdirectory that has a list of the
modifications I did].

This version compiles out of the box (given that you've got the right tools
of course), runs and then dies. But it turns out that with the alloca()ed
stack we're getting way further - now we're getting to

compile.cc: in `void gen_compile()'
compile.cc:1111: phase error at sPC 26: 0084F18D r.d.. 1<  41 0084F1A8
LdTemp 1

(whatever that means ;-) [Note to Marcus: the SqueakCompiler directory
contains a 'j3.out' that has all the log info]. The good news is that the
alloca() stack seems to work.

PhiHo, if you're on an NT kernel, I'd be interested to see what happens if
you go into sqWin32J3Support.c and replace the alloca()ed stack with a
malloc()ed stack. On 98 this is when the j3 dies with a stack fault in
Kernel.dll.

Cheers,
  - Andreas