[updates] Important change of no consequence

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Apr 12 05:28:00 UTC 2001

Folks -

No one should need to know this, but we have enough real hackers among us that I feel compelled to announce a change...

Attached below is a message from Ted explaining an enhancement he has made to the update managment process.  Now instead of two completely different update streams, one for Disney internal work and one for external updates, we have merged the two, so that the only difference is the contents of the index files, *updates.list.

As I say, this shouldn't matter to anyone, except, if you use the latest file on the update server to know whether there are new updates pending for you, this will no longer be a reliable indication.  The write date of 'updates.list', on the other hand, would probably still be a reliable indicator.  But I always send out a message when I issue updates externally, so you shouldn't be doing this anyway.

I mention this also, for anyone who is mirroring the updates server, just because you might otherwise be suprised by the different pattern of activity on the mirrored server.

Finally, while this change allows anyone to see the very latest stuff we're working with, it would be really foolish to try to track it in general (though you're welcome to watch, of course).  The reason is that our internal update stream is where we catch the truly gross errors (oh, yes), and we fix them in truly gross ways sometimes (like overwriting files without changing their names, editing the index of updates, whatever it takes).  Unless your daytime job on a bomb squad, you wouldn't want to be connected to the internal update stream.

... just thought some of you might want to know.

	- Dan