benchmarks

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Apr 2 00:09:06 UTC 2001

	> From: G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
	> Performance is one thing, but isn't Java loosing it's
	> platform independancy
	> now Microsoft goes it's own way after SUN's victory (?) in court?

Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther at melandra.com> pointed out
that Sun's Java CM runs under Windows 2k.

I should also point out that IBM are pushing the Java wagon pretty hard,
including such things as
 - distributing a free Java compiler (Jikes, lots of ugly C++)
 - having their own Java for Windows (IBM Visual Age for Java)
 - plugging Java in their DeveloperWorks stuff
 - giving away free 2-CD "developerWorks toolbox for e-business" kits
   to anyone who asks (I have a set) with VA Java and a ton of stuff in
   Java.
 - providing free Java goodies on their developerWorks web site

Microsoft burned IBM's fingers over OS/2; I don't think IBM will forget
that in a hurry.  (Come to think of it, I'm *sure* they haven't forgotten:
they're also pushing Linux...)