[BUG] Audio Play Back Hangs in Seuqeak 3.1 / Windows NT 4

Steve Gilbert steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com
Wed Apr 18 00:56:38 UTC 2001

"Daniel V. Oppenheim" wrote:

> Running Squeak 3.0 and 3.1 alpha (with GREAT delight) on Windows NT 4.0.
> After a while audio playback breaks -- just by triggering flap open-close
> sounds, etc. -- and I get "The specified device is already in use. Wait
> until it is free, and then try again." error message in the pop-up
> emergency pane at the bottom of the Squeak screen. At this point Windows
> Apps can no longer play audio (i.e. Media Player does not produce audio
> even though it appears to play and no error message is generated in
> Windows). It seems to me that Squeak does not always properly close the
> audio playback driver. The only option I have at this point is to reboot.
> This happens very consistently, within 5-10 minutes of entering the image,
> though I have not been able to replicate a repeatable scenario for it to occur.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this?

Yes, it happens to me in NT4.0 on my laptop, but not on my workstation.
My workstation is running NT4.0sp5 I believe. I've seen the same thing
on another laptop that was docked to be used as a workstation.  It was
running NT4.0 as well, but I don't know what SP it has.

I'll check to see what SP my laptop is running and then maybe we can
figure out if it's something to do with a laptop or the patch level of
NT that you're running.

Are you seeing this on a laptop??

Steve Gilbert