Newsweek article on "Dynabook-like" computer

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 26 17:45:19 UTC 2001

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> is widely believed to have written:

> Alan wrote:
> > BTW Squeak runs beautifully on Chuck's* machine.
> > Using the fleshed out media version of Squeak on
> > the Tablet is the closest thing to a complete Dynabook
> > experience I've yet had.
>
> If they only had a good option for a keyboard I would immediately trade my
> laptop for that very piece of hardware (and that's saying something!).
A keyboard would certainly help make it useful for those occasions when
you aren't in tablet mode, and lets face it that is a lot of the time.
Given the anticipated price at two to three times a reasonable plain
desktop configuration, it needs to be usable as much as possible. Of
course, you won't be at all surprised if I claim it couldn't be
considered usable with Windows on it :-J

But just think; a mere ten years after the Active Book and five after
the Interval Pad, finally M$ have made something with some potential
value. Even if it does have the wrong CPU.

tim

"How many Grogs does it take to change a lightbulb?" "One. Something
with manipulatory appendages will be along eventually."