Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Fri Apr 20 18:19:36 UTC 2001

The oldest advice I have given over the years (particularly after
ST-80 went out in the world and was used so unimaginatively) is that
you should always scratch program first using just a few tools. That
exercise will often provide a much better sense of the most fruitful
model. Once there, then it is worth while to look in the class
library to see if someone has done a neater more efficient
implementation of some of the subparts.
      IMNSHO most Smalltalkers do far too much poking around in the
class library too early ....

Cheers,

Alan

-----