A remark about research on reflection

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Apr 7 08:06:39 UTC 2001

Hi

I just to share some thoughts I have a about reflection.

First I was thinking that research on reflection is ***not*** about redoing
the past but I was wrong:
People think that putting metaclasses in Java are interesting research:
            http://home.austin.rr.com/forman/ira/jem.pdf
(the conceptual contents of this paper is Smalltalk-76 -> ObjVlisp 87
and some design ideas for Java).

Second I really think that Smalltalk stopped its evolution in the area of
reflection and other capabilities and it would be good if some new ideas and
prototypes would be tested in Smalltalk and Squeak in particular.
I think that I will restart working on reflection. I would really like
to see if some other research groups would be interested to work on similar
ideas.

Stef