Stable Squeak?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 18 16:39:29 UTC 2001

--On Wednesday, April 18, 2001 8:55 AM -0700 Michael Rueger
<m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> I still do not see a need for a project fork which is not even prepared
>> openly.
> I agree with you that the work could have been more publicized, but...
> The whole idea of Squeak is to encourage everyone to do whatever they
> want. Interestingly both Alan Kay and Dave Thomas actually encouraged
> people to do this in their keynotes at SmalltalkSolutions.
> Standardization is stagnation, and we already have enough systems that
> are standardized, haven't we? ;-)
[snip]

And there's something to be said for *a posteriori* standards, i.e.,
standards that come out of actual implementations.

The trouble, of course, is that *a posteriori* standardization processes
require, well, folding forks back in. Which is work :)

*A priori* standards have their own problems, of course.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.