Updated Squeak Quick Reference

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Thu Apr 12 15:57:31 UTC 2001

Your critical reading and analysis is requested!

As part of the materials that I'm putting together for my ECOOP
Squeak tutorial, I have been revising the Squeak Quick Reference page
that Andrew Greenberg originally wrote in 1999.  My versions are
temporarily available at http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/.
(Andrew kindly agreed to let me use this material for the Tutorial,
so I think that there is no problem is "publishing" on this list.)

I have actually broken the "card" -- which was up to about 20 pages
depending on the font size that your web browser uses for printing --
into two.  The first (Language Reference) describes stuff like use of
the mouse and the language syntax, and the second (Classes Reference)
the use of common classes.

If the folks on this list would like to look at these pages, and make
corrections and suggestions for improvement, they would be very much
appreciated.  Although designed for novices, I have to say that I
learned quite a bit about Squeak by reading through this material and
checking things out in a current (well, 3.0 Alpha) image.

One thing that I would specifically like feedback on is the
description of new and new: that appears pretty close to the to of
the classes reference, at
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/SqueakClassesReference.html#FundamentalObject

What is written there is true, but I don't think that it's really
useful to a novice.  Perhaps more useful would be a description of
the relationship between basicNew and new, and the right way to
initialize objects in your own subclasses?  Anyone have some text to
contribute?

	Andrew