A still sensible question about _ and :=

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Mon Apr 23 12:51:13 UTC 2001

Just for the record, "<-" came first. SInce we controlled all at PARC
in the early 70s and no one liked ":=" as an assignment token (the
"=" is not a good sign to have here), the early PARC languages all
used the "<-" character. Both the screen and printing fonts that we
made had this character. I was gone from PARC by the final stages of
Smalltalk-80, but I remember others mentioning the long fight over
whether they should capituate to the Standard 7-bit ASCII of the late
70s. Apparently, they did.

Cheers,

Alan