An interesting machine...

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Sat Apr 21 13:32:17 UTC 2001

Hi guys!

Just wanted to mention a truly interesting Squeak platform I found on the net.

I am currently trying to find the "optimal solution" :-) for satellite TV at our newly built house
and stumbled upon the not yet released so called "Nokia MediaTerminal"...

First I was surprised to see that Nokia is such a dominating player when it comes to digital
satellite receivers (or whatever they are called) here in Sweden. Their "Nokia 9802s" looks like
the best technical solution on the market right now according the people who knows the business
and is also one of the most sold I believe - might get one myself.

Anyway, back to the MediaTerminal apparently being developed in Linköping here in Sweden. It will
be on the market in the middle of this year. It will show up on the US market around October.

It is actually a nicely packaged x86-thing running Linux! It has Mozilla for browsing and Mesa for
3D and so on. It also has a 20Gb harddisc mainly for recording TV.

BTW - after reading around it turns out that Indrema (the Linux gaming console guys) knew about
Nokias plans and where actively following it.

So... this might very well be the first open Linuxbased media platform that will "make it" into
peoples' homes. Nokia has a large marketshare, a lot of money and this is their next product in
this product segment (well there is a 9902s also coming). They also really seem into OpenSource
solutions. Digital TV is also growing by leaps and bounds. A lot of ingredients that might make
this a winner.

...and Squeak (Linux port) already runs on it! I find this extremely intriguing.

http://www.nokia.com/multimedia/mediaterminal.html
http://www.linuxtv.org

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek