Announcing to the world..

Tom tmb at lumo.com
Wed Apr 18 06:36:03 UTC 2001

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:19:45PM -0400, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> I'm not sure what Tom wants or expects Squeak to be.

I should have stated more clearly that I have to Squeak fairly
recently, and I'm primarily a UNIX/Linux user, so I thought my observations
might be of some interest if Squeak wants to attract new users from
that community.

As I got to know Squeak better, I discovered that there are a number of
preference settings (inboard scrollbars, no Flash morph) and existing
add-ons (OSProcess, new "look", bigger/more fonts) that would have made
it easier for me to get started with Squeak and given me a better first
impression (the same seems to be true for a number of other researchers
I have talked to who at one point or another gave Squeak a try).
Two wishlist items for me are a terminal emulator and user settable
editor bindings (which I hope to be able to contribute myself), because
they can make a new environment feel less daunting until one gets up to
speed in it.  Other people will, of course, have different perspectives
and preferences.

I was relating my experiences in the hope that they would be useful
for whoever puts together the "official" distribution to take into
consideration for default settings; they involve no significant programming
or new development and are really just policy decisions and tradeoffs.
I'm sorry if such suggestions are not appropriate for the list and
will, of course, stop posting anything like that if they bother anybody.

Thomas.