Unified Virtual Machine/Image....

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Apr 18 02:33:58 UTC 2001

Jerome-

Whike I think there were some issue I wrestled with (it's been a while),
there is a Visual C++ project as part of the Embedded Squeak package
that should make it fairly easy to recompile if you are using Windows
and VC++.

Otherwise, it's the usual wrestling with the C compiler for your
platform -- especially dealing with platform specific issues for
endianess etc. You don't have to really do much with C or C++ in terms
of much programming, but you will need to know how to run the compiler,
deal with make files (under Unix) and know about #ifdefs and byte
ordering to recompile the VM. Your best bet in that case might be to
start with a distribution for your platform and just make some changes
to it based on examining the changes made for embedded Squeak
(generating a C char array using Smalltalk, linking it in with a make
file, and adding and changing a few lines of the VM to read from the
byte array instead of an image file). I remember thinking at the time I
did it it would have been nice to get some of the VM change code into
the mainline distribution with some #ifdefs.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com