Squeak Foundation suggestion

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun Apr 15 14:23:39 UTC 2001

Doug Way wrote:
> Would a good next step be to set up a mailing list to help
> get all interested parties involved?
> I suppose the foundation could just be discussed on this list,
> but that might be somewhat disruptive.
> [snip]
> Anyway, I'm just throwing out some ideas, hoping that the
> momentum doesn't get lost.

I myself would make the effort to track another list on this issues if
one appeared immediately (although I avoid things like Yahoo groups for
privacy concern and so would prefer something else).

However, I would suggest first attempts at defining the purpose and
principles of a Squeak Foundation might best be done initially on the
Squeak List. Then, discussion could move to a special mailing list after
a few weeks or months of discussion of these topics draws together
active participants into a critical mass.

I feel some momentum will be immediately lost if there is a separate
list -- but I understand the concern not to clutter this list too much
in the long term. Perhaps a prefix to emails might make this work better
until enough momentum is acquired to necessitate a separate list? Would
[FOUND] work?

If a Squeak Foundation is to be a success, it is important is have
supporters among a broad range of participants, such as shareware
developers, Disney, other major corporations, small companies, web
developers, hobbyists, Smalltalk vendors, and educators to name a few
categories. Many of them are here already as part of this mailing list
which more or less defines the present Squeak Community. There are
obviously some people who don't stay because Squeak doesn't yet meet
their needs -- for example in terms of modularity or stability of the
mainline release, although from previous discussions on modular squeak I
think there are enough lurking to represent this view.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com