A still sensible question about _ and :=

Steve Wart thecows at home.com
Mon Apr 23 15:34:22 UTC 2001

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
> Stef,
>

> From somebody who's writing a lot of Squeak code:
>
> > I'm really wondering why Squeak code continues to have _
> > instead of using :=.
>
> It's just faster to type. That's all. I used to do VW all the time and some
> of my older code uses := but once you get really into it it's just one
> character less to type. More efficient. Now I'm not saying it's good but I
> believe that is the reason - it's because those guys who are doing a lot of
> Squeak hacking have learned to value the increased efficiency. And nothing
> prevents you from writing := if you wish.

VW lets you type Ctrl-G which is the same number of keystrokes as
Shift-minus.

The only place I find this a problem is when porting code from Squeak to
VW or vice-versa.

Now as long as people don't put _ in identifier names a simple search
and replace takes care of it. But it would be nice to have a common
fileout format (does SIF do this?). I am poking about with Smalltalk MT
(the anti-Squeak :-) and it would be nice to be able to more easily move
stuff around.

($0.02, FWIW)
Steve