Squeak for 3-year-olds

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Mon Apr 30 05:15:57 UTC 2001

Oh, but you are missing the entire point of that part of that
project. It was specifically made to be difficult to control so the
kids would say "wow, this is difficult to control", and we say "yeah,
that's because you made a race car. There are no gears between the
steering wheel and the front wheels of your car". And they say
"what's a gear?" and we say, "see that little triangle after the word
'heading', click on it". They do and then for the first time in their
lives, they get to see why division might be useful by dividing the
number coming out of 'heading' by 3 or 4".

The whole idea of good learning environments is to avoid as many
gratuitous difficulties as possible, but to specifically introduce
just the difficulties that will motivate appropriate learning.

This is why we have worked with literally thousands of children now
since 1973 or so. BTW, the "drive a car" etoy is specifically aimed
at children from about 8 years old and older. There are numerous
projects suitable for younger children, but they have different aims.
Each developmental stage of children allows them to do different
kinds of thinking, and you have to take that into account when you
design etoys for them (and when you bring children to them). There
are a number of examples on Squeakland.org, and there will be many
more over the next few weeks and months.

For those of you who have very young children, you are much better
off having them start to learn to build things with their hands. Most
computers are not equipped with enough tactile feedback to be great
learning environments for very young children.

A great book to read for those who are interested is "Towards a
Theory of Instruction" by Jerome Bruner. It doesn't talk about
computers but it is one of the best books about designing good
educational environments for children of various ages.  Last year I
wrote a chapter for a book about kindergarten that discusses the
suitability of computers for 3 and 4 year olds. This will also go
online sometime this summer.

Cheers,

Alan

-----