Refactoring support in Squeak

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Apr 3 00:23:59 UTC 2001

Brian Rice wrote:

> Before I try to dive through the coding-support classes in Squeak to
> look for these features, I'd like to know what the status is of
> porting the Refactoring Browser to Squeak. I've heard that some of
> the basic refactorings are supported, but apparently they are without
> user interface hooks.
>
> Is someone working on this? If there is only a little left to do,
> where are the places that need work?

Bob Hartwig has mostly been in charge of this.  See his website about the Squeak Refactoring Browser port at http://www.bobjectsinc.com/squeakrbalpha/ .

The site is actually getting a little out of date now... there was some additional work done around the time of OOPSLA 2000 which is not mentioned on the site.  There were some UI hooks added to do refactorings from a regular system browser, but there wasn't any SmallLint UI yet, for example.

You may want to email Bob directly to find out if there's any new news.

(And yes, I still have plans to eventually add support for RB refactorings to my Whisker browser...)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com