UNIX downloads? (with Windows answers)

John Briggs johneb47 at optushome.com.au
Thu Apr 5 08:44:55 UTC 2001

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:33:40PM +1200, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> Since the installation instructions said to start by doing 'su root'
> and since I will be given root privileges on a University machine
> shortly after the sun freezes over, I didn't even try.

Hi Richard
You do NOT have to have root priveledges to compile any program.

If you have access to the compilers and other program requirements the you can
 set up your own directory structure in your home directory and modify either
the Makefiles, Configure, or Configure.in scripts for those directory
structures. If you have priveledges to the /usr/local/ directories you may
even be able to use those.

Not going 'su root' will only prevent other users accessing your Squeak program

HTH

John