[OT] How We Discuss Things

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Aug 1 00:42:46 UTC 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:01:39 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

> I don't subscribe to the list by email any longer (though I spent
> the past year doing so) because I found it too cluttered an
> experience, regardless of whether I used the digest or dealt with
> individual emails. Following threads was very difficult at best and
> filtering out topics in which I was not interested proved all but
> impossible.

I think your real problem is the email client you use probably doesn't
do a good job.

I use Agent, which is a Windows only product, but it does a fantastic
job of dealing with email lists. It basically treats email lists
exactly the same way as usenet. The messages are all threaded, and
show up in indented lists by thread. You can navigate through the
unread messages with single keystrokes. You can selectively ignore an
entire thread (plus all future messages to that thread) with a single
keypress - this basically marks the messages on that thread as being
read when they are retrieved.

Its a browser interface, so no windows get opened or closed when
viewing messages. It is multi-threaded, so you can be retrieving email
and reading new messages at the same time.

Plus, Agent can handle the volume of the Squeak list with no problems.
I've been on the list for the past 11 months, and I've got something
like 15,000 messages in my Squeak folder.

I agree completely with Rosemary -- I would never read or participate
on the Squeak list if it wasn't pushed to my computer every time I
check my mail.

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com