non-programmer intro + Interactive Fiction

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu Aug 2 11:56:03 UTC 2001

Interesting how these two points (look at the web page!) make this thread
merge with the one on Interactive Fiction!

> don't. Here is what I wrote a long time ago about which ideas need to
> be taught:
>
> http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/tut1.html
>

>The problem is that if you give the student too much
> control it is impossible for an automated tutor to keep up. Specially
> since things break so easily.
>
> The other extreme is the book, with nearly 100% author control. Or the
> movie.

Now maybe it is not that strange, after all, that the authors of Wizardry
and the Squeak reference sheet are one and the same...

> method execution as cloned prototype context
> objects (got that? ;-).

That was a true enlightenment moment for me in the original Self paper. Very
cool from an implementor's point of view! (But I wouldn't have understood it
from your short description!)

Henrik