Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre- writing.

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 04:59:03 UTC 2001

Jan Bottorff wrote:

> > > Is 90% really accurate???
> >
> >It can't be: figure that "something like 12%" of people use Linux, and
> >that Microsoft have yet to deign to make IE available to us and you
> >already have less than 90%.
>
> The numbers from http://browserwatch.internet.com/stats/icstats.html
> supports close to 90% for IE. Personally, I use Linux for my server, and
> Win2000 for my workstation, so do 99.9% of my browsing from IE.

But look at who the results come from:

"Top 10 Browser Types Visiting Internet.com"

and who are Internet.com when they're at home? I'd be much more
interested in results from Google, say.

> Just because 12% of people use Linux, doesn't mean they don't also use Windows.

For sure. But because folk use Windows, doesn't mean they use IE.

My guess is that different types of sites attract different browsers. As
a totally unrepresentative exercise my ex Prof asked a group of
post-grad programmers which browser they used. 60% used Netscape.

Cheers

John