Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre- writing.

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 13:29:38 UTC 2001

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

//header snipped//

>         But look at who the results come from:
>
>         "Top 10 Browser Types Visiting Internet.com"
>
>         and who are Internet.com when they're at home?
>
> http://www.internet.com doesn't really make that clear, does it?

Only that they're called www.internet.com. They don't appear to have any
*official* standing (as the name might imply) and if W3C want to sue
them, I'll contribute to the fighting fund!

>         I'd be much more interested in results from Google, now.
>
> They would be equally worthless, and I mean WORTHLESS.
> No site KNOWS what browsers access it, only what identification
> string the browsers send them.
> At least one of the browsers I use can be asked with a couple of
> mouse clicks to announce itself as any of several other browsers.
> (I haven't bothered looking to see if the others can.  Hang on,
> I _know_ two of the others can be so configured with a wee bit of code.)

OK. But they'd be worthless, I'd warrant, in a *different* way.
Different sites attract different folks who tend to use different
browsers. Or use different browsers for different things. For example,
if I know a site contains piles of front end junk (or bad javascript) I
don't want, I'll use lynx. If I want to grab a page so I can hack their
source code, I'll use IE on Windows. If I want to simply keep a page,
I'll use Netscape and save it as Postscript (I'll probably convert it to
pdf later). If I'm visiting a dual language Chinese/Japanese/Korean site
I won't use IE 'cos it'll keep asking me to download fonts. Very
occassionally I'll use Amaya.  I won't use Opera 'cos it appears to be
built for RedHat and I can't be bothered to work out the symlinks.
Internally, I use Konqueror. And so on.

Cheers

John