bug in 3.1 alpha

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Aug 5 06:20:50 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 12:56:30AM -0400, Doug Way wrote:

> With the VM, usually the only important thing is that your VM version
> should be the same as or more recent than the image version. (not
> earlier)

I thought I recall roughly the reverse rule: the definition of a major
version (e.g., 3 in squeak 3.1) is that a VM of that number will work
with all images of that era, even if they have a higher minor
version.  So VM version <= image version, rather than the reverse.

Put slightly differently, if a new VM is required, the major version
number gets bumped.

Perhaps the different statements are all true, provided one interprets
version to mean major or minor appropriately.

This is of some practical interest to me, since I'm running 3.0 VMs
against 3.1 images.