Computers in school

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 5 21:36:48 UTC 2001

Just some FYI's:

>Then too, there is the guy who wrote Engines for Education. I'll have his
>name shortly. He runs the Institute for the Learning Sciences out of
>Northwestern University in Illinois. Roger Schank.

Roger has left Northwestern and has just joined Carnegie Mellon University.

>One of his associates developed Sickle Cell Counsellor as a rich learning
>environment. It's on permanent exhibit at the SF Exploratorium and again,
>I highly recommend trying it out. The folks there were astonished by the
>length of time it captured folks. Instead of the usual one minute, more or
>less, it captures visitors for half an hour or more. I tried it out and
>now know a lot about the subject despite my experience being years old.

This was Ben Bell's dissertation work.

>Another school use of computers is as a *minor* tool. That is, the culture
>and the educational goals are far more relevant than the details of the
>supporting computer software. CSILE, the computer supported intentional
>learning environment, is one such tool. It lets students build a hyper-
>text (including drawings) of questions, answers, and other comments about
>whatever subject is under study.

CSILE is the brainchild of Marlene Scardamalia and Carl Bereiter at
the Ontario Institute for Studies on Education (OISE) at U. Toronto.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu