Computers in school

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 6 17:43:13 UTC 2001

>I like Alan's quote very much (it is on my website -
>http://www.toontalk.com/English/adultask.htm ). My question is why after 17
>years do so few people understand that that is what is so special about
>computer programming. Why are there so few actively trying to spread the
>power and joy of programming to the wider world?  Why is it such a hard
>sell?

In my opinion, Ken, the answer to that question has got to be on the
level of a Grand Challenge.  Why is programming so hard?  (And
similarly: Why are so many willing to move kids towards computers as
appliances but not as media?)

At GaTech, we recently started a bunch of assessments of our students
and found that even 40% of our 2nd Semester students couldn't write a
dozen lines of Java code (insert and delete of a linked list) when
given the class definition and method headers, a compiler they knew,
and 90 minutes.  I've mentioned these assessments on this list
previously.

Over last Spring, a group of us did a similar study at GaTech,
another US institution, one in the UK, and one in Poland.  The
problem was building an RPN or infix calculator (different problems
with different data sets).  We did our meta-analyses last month. End
result: Average grade was 25%.  (This'll be appearing in the ACM
SIGCSE Bulletin soon.)

What's amazing is how few people are studying this.  At a time when
so many (e.g., the PCAST report) point to the importance of
information technology and education about it for the health of the
economy, research into CS Education has virtually disappeared.  The
last Empirical Studies of Programmers workshop was cancelled due to
lack of submissions!

I think that we have clues about why it's so hard for so many, and
how to make it easier.  Amy Bruckman showed that making programming
socially cool (in Moose Crossing) made it possible for lots of kids
to learn to program. The recent American Association of University
Women report pointed out that women (and many others, I'll bet) are
drawn away from IT because we make CS classes as boring as possible.
Motivation is important, and showing that computers can do
interesting and creative things is critical to making programming
learnable.  The Squeak tile approach of using multiple parallel
scripts (similar to the approaches in Logo Mindstorms and StarLogo)
to avoid explicit conditionals or iteration is a fascinating
direction to explore.

Seymour Papert has written that it's inherent in school's structure
to avoid revolution, and that programming will never become
integrated into school curricula because of that (ref: Journal of the
Learning Sciences article last year, and in the Children's Machine
and Connected Family books).  I hope he's wrong, but I think the
small number of people pushing on this problem makes it more likely
that he'll be right.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu