Computers in school

Rosemary Michelle Simpson rms at cs.brown.edu
Tue Aug 7 14:59:08 UTC 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Edwin Pilobello wrote:

> I can definitely tell that it isn't boredom.  For girls, IMO it's the
> pedagogy.  In my Logo classes, I've asked each student to choose a project
> study out of Yehuda Katz's "Recursive Graphic Designs" and "Logo Art
> Gallery".  Some designs end up being  purely "for girls" and some are "for
> boys". http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/2276/
>
> I've ask Yehuda who made the graphics.  Men made the ones boys chose
> exclusively and Olga Tuzova made the ones the girls preferred overall.  Both
> groups pursued the study of their individually chosen objects of study with
> equal zeal.
>
> What does this indicate?

Part of my work on ConceptLab involves reflection on what different
mindsets will need and want to work with in a toolkit/playground such as
it will be.  My personal experience as a 61-year-old woman, who was a
history major, taught Chemistry, and who has spent 30+ years in a variety
of computing environments is:  I don't care about logical puzzles, games,
or problem solving.  Win/lose situations turn me off.  I care about
patterns, exploring, creating, and playing.  I'm kinesthetic and spatial
in my approach to cognitive tasks. In short, a very different list from
most of the males I've asked. Does this help?

R.