[ENH] TIFFReader 1.0 reads some, not all, TIFF files

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Tue Aug 7 20:10:23 UTC 2001

I wanted a way to import images with alpha channels from Strata 3d
into Squeak, but the only file formats they had in common did not
support alpha channels. I saw that John McIntosh made a TIFF plugin
last fall, but I decided to code up a simple TIFF reader in Squeak
rather than port the plugin to the VMs I was interested in.

So here's the first version. It doesn't write TIFFS, only read, and
right now it only reads 32-bit uncompressed TIFFs with one alpha
channel. It will read either big-endian or little-endian TIFFs.

It's integrated with FileList and ImageReadWriter, so after filing in
the change set you can read TIFFs just like you'd read in BMPs or
JPEGs or GIFs.

I've tested it with TIFFs produced by Strata3D and by PhotoShop 6. If
it fails to read a 32-bit uncompressed TIFF with one alpha channel
produced by some other package, please send me a sample TIFF so I can
fix it.

Also, if anyone urgently wants to be able to read TIFFs without alpha
channels or 8-bit TIFFs or gray-scale TIFFs or something, let me know
and I'll increase the priority of putting in the improvements (or, of
course, you're welcome to enhance it yourself.)

-Martin