Computers in school - OT

Brent.Pinkney at reuters.com Brent.Pinkney at reuters.com
Tue Aug 7 18:59:43 UTC 2001

The *hypothesis* that boredom causes certain demographic groups to abandon CS disprortionately to their relative numbers in the population must be scrutinied. Just accepting this as true based on the testimony of the abandoners it not science as it introduces the hypothesis that the groups who stick with CS have a higher mean tolerence for boredom.

As a harsh litmus test, a without anyone getting over excited, watch the international athletic championships in Edmonton tonight and explain the disproportionate participation of certain groups of mankind in certain events and then try to explain this away. PS. Does my my testimony, as a poor athlete, count if I say sprinting is boring.

How you you separate boring as a cause, and boring as a consequent of poor abilility ?

Saying we do not know why disproportionate representations occur is ok. It is not inherently a Bad Thing either.

Brent

the views of Reuters Ltd.