Computers in school - OT

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Aug 7 21:03:00 UTC 2001

Hmmm...I would say that your hypothesis is no better.

I say it's more a matter of nurturing and environment.  My father was an
electrical engineering and was constantly tinkering and building
computers.  My mother didn't finish college and was not interested in
computers or technology.  I would have to say that I thing those things
had more to do with the fact that I'm now in the software field, and my
sister is not (or anything related to technology).  In fact, my sister
is more of a people person than I am, mirroring my mother and father.

Since my mother and father we pretty typical of their generation, my
hypothesis is that your parents and the environment you grow up in, more
than anything else, shape your interests and tendencies in life.  And
that is probably one reason that more females do not find computer
science engaging and interesting.

- Stephen