Computers in school [college a waste?]

Rev. Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Aug 8 15:29:24 UTC 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:

> Good Morning!

Hola!

> Hint: try to pick classes based on the reputation of the teacher,
> rather than the course content.  Some of my most rewarding classes (CS
> or not) were in areas that weren't my main interest.  For example, my
> interest in Smalltalk was kindled 3 years ago by Duane Szafron, who
> taught me a course on the implementation of object-oriented systems
> (garbage collection, polymorphic inline caching, etc.)

I try, but it's not always possible.  When it comes to getting all of the
first and second year stuff done, you can't afford to stall until you get
a better professor when you need that class to move on to others.  In a
big school it may be doable, with more than one professor handling her/his
own lecture, but that doesn't happen almost at all here.

At the very least, I can say that I'm looking forward to the coming fall
semester- three biology classes and one stats!

Regards-
Aaron