Help! Unemployed

Stewart MacLean stingray at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 9 02:16:09 UTC 2001

Hi Daniel,

I can relate to your request, having been through this process myself!

Sometime ago I decided I wanted to work with Smalltalk. I was coming from a COBOL, RPG, Database background.

I just started "doing it" at home and knocking on doors. One year later (after my wife thought "I'd get over it, get bored, and go and get a normal job using a normal language") I was still "doing it" and knocking on doors.

The problem was the "Catch-22" of must have paid on the job commercial experience using Smalltalk. After two years of doing this I thought I would have had more than enough experience, but the Catch-22 still held. Undaunted, and as I really liked using Smalltalk, I delved deeper and deeper into the Smalltalk system - I suspect displaying this knowledge might have scared some of my prospective employers off!

After quite a few rebuffs I got my "lucky break". It involved working away from home and, ironically, teaching Smalltalk to very unmotivated "old school" people. But hey, it went on the CV and the Catch-22 was broken. Unfortunately at this time my prediction of Smalltalk's increasing popularity over C++ didn't come true due to a certain language called Java exploding on the internet (which, I've heard the originator based his ideas on, but was told to make the syntax C++ like). Smalltalk had missed its window of opportunity.

That said, I'm working in New Zealand on a project in the UK using Smalltalk and have done quite a lot of Smalltalk gigs!

However once this project finishes, I suspect I'll be back in the same position, breaking the Catch-22 of Java. Oh it's great to live on the technological treadmill :)

My advice - keep "doing it" and keep knocking on doors.

Your project sounds interesting - go with that? (can you tell us more?).

Good luck,

Stewart