do I have to garbageCollect every time I create a large object?

Carlos Sarraute carlos at core-sdi.com
Thu Aug 9 00:17:54 UTC 2001

Hello,

I have noticed something curious: after creating a very large object
(Array new: 25000000 which ocupies 100.000.000 bytes of memory),
everything gets very slow, and the SystemMonitor indicates constant
incremental garbage collections.
It is only after performing a full garbage collection (Smalltalk
garbageCollect) that I can work again normally. My question is: do I
have to do "Smalltalk garbageCollect" every time I create a large
object? Or are there other ways to handle this situation?

Thanks,
 Carlos Sarraute