A Squeak Packaging Proposal (Re: Is this list a chat or a list REALLY ?)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Aug 9 16:40:45 UTC 2001

On Thursday 09 August 2001 08:52 am, you wrote:
> All packages will have a globally unique id (generated from the
> current millisecond time plus a random number plus the authors initials)
> so they can be uniquely identitfied.  You make changes by creating a new
> package.  If you name it the same as an old package the user will see
> this and can choose to use it in future packages instead of the old one.
>  The new package can have the old package as a prerequisite.

How would it be possible to allow prerequisites in a range of _versions_? For
instance, I may make a package that requires at least version 1.02 of another
package (in conventional terms), but I know that version 1.23 of that package
breaks mine. So I'd like to specify a dependency on one of a range of package
versions (including ones I maybe haven't seen yet, and so wouldn't know the
GUID of).

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA