Sphere

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Fri Aug 10 00:07:10 UTC 2001

om...

Hiya doodz. I just subscribed yesterday and got flooded by gigabytes of
ludacrous threads about exactly how to capitolize sMaLlTaLk...
I'll ignore that for the next few days praying that it will go away.
[fingers crossed]

I joined this list cuz I been wanting to write my own OS for the last 6
years... Most of that time was spent playing quake and trying to beat a
clue out of the textbooks that have consumed most of my pennies...
Unfortunately my difficulties with college English has held me in a
community colege... =\

Now that I have a small colection of clues as to how to go about
actually getting an OS to work I have grown impatient with myself and
would like to get this monster jump-started as soon as possible.

An overview of my design can be found on my website, add "
uce/sphere/sphere.txt " to the link below...

The current plan is to damn the torpedos and full-speed ahead on a
squeak-based implementation of Sphere. I will be continuing to research
even more advanced language technologies but I need to get something on
the net ASAP and Squeak seems to be the best of the object oriented
languages.

I read a little about sMaLlTaLk in one of the books I am reading...

Now about this "Squeak" implementation. You say that it relies uppon the
host C compiler to compile certain things? This is no good... I need an
implementation that does its own harware code generation.

Secondly I need a current system... I am writing this on Windows 3.11 I
also have BeOS.

The first version of Sphere will run in a DPMI virtual machine running
on
100% pure unadulterated raw native virgin DOS.

DOS is, unquestionably, the best OS in existance TODAY.

I will be implementing Sphere on DOS for the following reasons:

1. DOS takes care of all the PC crap that has killed so many other
aspiring OS projects.
2. I can fit DOS, a DPMI host, *AND* Sphere on a single floppy, and
possibly a second for utilities...
3. DOS, while meeting the first two requirements, remains so increadibly
easy to install and manage that any 10 year old on the face of the
planet could get it working in less than an hour with only a 20 kilobyte
tutorial.

Now about supporting sphere itself: As an OS it will need to be able to
establish and manipulate MVMs, modified virtual machines. Basicly these
will be subsets of the global Squeak VM which will be able to create
modified modified virtual machines or subordinant Modified virtual
machines as a subset of themselves... These will include memory,
namespaces, and special properties, whatever the parent decides...

I want to finish the textbook that I am currently reading, then I will
turn my attention to Squeak and this other lingo called 'Joy'.

--
If your grandmother can use Linux then perhaps she wouldn't mind
admining my server/router and my workstation for me, I just don't have