Mailing list administration question

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Aug 10 01:06:44 UTC 2001

IIRC, the cc: field is only used by the user agent to formulate the SMTP
conversation, the SMTP server itself doesn't care what's in the cc:
header or any other header for that matter (if it did, then every SMTP
server that a mail item passed through would generate additional copies
of the mail item)...with the SMTP protocol, you tell the server whom to
send the mail to (which is everyone in the to:, cc:, and bcc:
fields)...but, the mailing list server is mangling the from field to put
the original sender's email in the text description of the
sender...therefore, I would assume that it would be easy to also put
that email in a cc: field.  I'd wouldn't be surprised if there is
already a way to do that without having to hack GNU Mailman.

- Stephen