Mailing list administration question

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Aug 10 08:49:00 UTC 2001

On 9 Aug 2001, Cees de Groot wrote:

> Stephen Pair <spair at advantive.com> said:
> >Is there anyway that this mailing list software can be made such that
> >replying to an email on the list will include the original author's
> >email address in addition to the list's email address?
> >
> There's always a way, GNU Mailman is Open Source and it's Python, you
> can download it and send me a patch :-).
>
> >Is it possible to make the list software include the original author's
> >email in the CC field, but not actually CC the original author?
> >
> How would you do that? If the mail address is in the CC field, the
> addressee will be CC'd...

My guess would be that if you'd disable the Reply-To stuff, any serious
email client would do the Right Thing. To not repeat this all over, please
read this: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html (and there
indeed were a few private mails accidentally sent to the list in the last
weeks)

-- Bert