Sphere

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Fri Aug 10 15:10:22 UTC 2001

> 1) The Jitter.
> This is a Just-In-Time Compiler for Squeak. This speeds up Squeak
> by generating native machine code on the fly instead of interpreting
> squeak bytecode...

> http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/

Okay, a FTP archive.. I could use docs/webpage... Still, thanks for the
inf0z.

>> DOS is, unquestionably, the best OS in existance TODAY.

> Uhh... that´s not what most people who know a litle bit about such
> things would say... (actually, from Computer Science perspective it´s
> pretty bad).

Absolutly.
Its miraculous that every other OS I've seen manages to be even worse,
often much much worse.

Here's a top 5 list:

1. DOS
2. Minix
3. Mac OS
4. QNX
5. BeOS

> There is a great Book about modern Operating Systems:

>   Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles
>    by William Stallings

That was one of the first Operating Systems books I ever read. Not very
helpful for the aspiring OS coder but still a great book. I have his
second edition. =)

By the way, the book I am reading right now is "The Computer Science and
Engineering Handbook", a 2,500 page volume that sells for $160. But its
worth every peny!

>> I will be implementing Sphere on DOS for the following reasons:

>> 1. DOS takes care of all the PC crap that has killed so many other
>> aspiring OS projects.

> You might want to look at "OSKit". This is a nice pakacke with many
> many different modules that makes building a custom "OS" very easy. I
> played with this for some hours and build a "Squeak Kernel".

I hate it.
Its overwhealmingly huge.
And it doesn't build under BeOS.

To top that off its written in C for chrissake! =P

> The cool think with OSkit is that you can built a very special Kernel,
> and the simplest possible would be indeed very much like DOS...
> (no Virtual memory, no nothing).

I have seen 3 working virtual memory systems implemented on DOS.

QDPMI implements one... (from QEMM 97)
WIN 3.11 implements one...
Even the Lucas Arts classic "Indianna Jones and the Fate of Atlantis"
implements one which works on even a 286...

--
If your grandmother can use Linux then perhaps she wouldn't mind
admining my server/router and my workstation for me, I just don't have