Help! Unemployed

David Loeffler loeffler at onr.com
Fri Aug 10 14:29:39 UTC 2001

I remember Multics fondly.  If I remember right, BellLabs sold its interest
in Project MAC at MIT to General Electric.  Multics was the big secure
timeshare system being developed at the time at MIT.  General Electric sold
off its computer stuff to Honeywell and the management structure.  Multics
was originally build as a GCOS machine with extra hardware attached (for
virtual memory, ring support (security), single level store,
etc).  Management and sales had a hard time with Multics.  It was an extra
cost item and they really tried pushing GCOS unless the customer demanded
Multics.  While I was there I knew a group that started a complete redesign
of Multics into CMOS and would be a stand alone computer (that is, not an
add on to GCOS hardware).  The project was ahead of schedule and under
budget but still the GCOS and Level 6 teams managed to get the project
canned.  Sigh.  It was a great system and 95% of the source code (written
in PL/1) was on line and available to programmers.  The assembly language
manual was restricted but the PL/1 compiler was very good. I first learned
Emacs when Bernie Greenberg wrote the first version of Emacs in Lisp for
Multics.  Then when on to Lisp, Smalltalk, and Java.