Squeak JIT status

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Aug 10 18:33:57 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 10:41:54AM -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > 1) The Jitter.
> > This is a Just-In-Time Compiler for Squeak. This speeds up Squeak
> > by generating native machine code on the fly instead of interpreting
> > squeak bytecode...
>
> > http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/
>
> Are you planning to merge this code with Andreas Raab's source tree for x86?

Yes. And the current version even contains a W32 Source-Tree:

Squeak-3.0pre2-j3.11k-W32.tar.gz

This might not be the latest greatest Windows-VM, but it´s fairly new.
(This based on the Windows-J3 sourcetree, synched with the rest. But
I didn´t try to compile it with win... but I guess it should work.)

> I don't see it on Tim Rowledge's site.  Could this code be lifted into the
> J3 tree to provide ARM Jitter?

No, the code is very differnt.

      Marcus