Squeak JIT status

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Aug 10 19:00:00 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:58:20PM -0400, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> Here's an idea (probably blindingly obvious to some).  Why not go with the flow of
> the Interval work (assuming it is not IP-encumbered), and merge in some of the
> J3 work (especially the platform-dependent stuff).  Then, reimplement J3 in Slang
> (I have no idea how hard this would be; I haven't programmed enough Slang to
> compare it to C++).
>
> End result: generate a JIT VM executable for any platform that can be targeted by
> the native code generators... from within Squeak.

Yes, integrating the dynamic code generator with some SLANG or a real
Smalltalk-to-native compiler seems to be an idea worth thinking about...

You could even implement the Jitter in Smalltalk (not Slang). Then the first
thing on startup would be, that the Jitter is interpreted by the normal
interpreter while compiling itself. There is allready  a Java-vm that´s
implemented this way.

Having the Jitter written in Squeak would allow to reuse much of the
codegenerator for a Slang or even Smalltalk-to-native compiler....

              Marcus