StableSqueak

Paul McDonough wnchips at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 20:15:50 UTC 2001

Hi,
--- danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> Hi Paul.
>
> I'm wondering what you mean when you say repository
> -
> A local set of files that hold a set of modules?
-- in concrete implementation, that's precisely the
case.  The framework (a close derivative of the one
that John Sarkela referred to in his recent posting)
is independent of the actual storage mechanism.  When
ModSqueak went off for its summer holidays, I was
getting ready to start working with Goran (if he's
interested) to try out his cvst as a repository
accessor; ie., provide a store-to-CVS option alongside
the local file system capability.

> The reason I'm asking is that Hans-Martin started
> his work on the code
> management problem from the other side, making a
> server for modules and
> their metadata (bugs and such). IIUC, the natural
> question is whether
> the two are as complementary as they seem (or is
> there some
> design/intent mismatch)?
-- I have been remiss in keeping up with Hans-Martin's
work, so I can't speak to the point with any
confidence.  We did talk through our respective
thoughts on the topic once, at OOPSLA '99 iirc, and we
seemed to be on more/less the same wavelength.  So I'm
sure there are specific points of impedence mismatch,
but in broad concept the two projects might be
complementary.

Fwiw,
Paul