Smalltalk work

Daniel daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 11 01:11:15 UTC 2001

"Stephan B. Wessels" wrote:

> Dan,
>
> That's great news.  If he hasn't contacted you his e-mail is
> bc.weller at home.com and I'm sure he would love to chat with you.
>
> His name is Bart Weller.  Bart and I worked together for Digitalk.  I
> was a technical consultant/ regional manager at that time and he worked
> as a Smalltalk consultant at a few locations where I was also located.
> As I understand it the company he currently works for is looking for
> Smalltalk folks and they also work entirely using XP.
>
> I'm excited to hear that there are Smalltalk opportunities coming your
> way and that the market is still ripe for those of us who no better
> (about Java).  Are you seeing any specific Squeak opportunities?  I'm
> curious about what that market's like.
>
> Keep in touch and good luck,
>
>   - Steve

	I wish they were all SmallTalk....

	Most were Java/Jsp/J2EE etc...

	Most of the others are temp/contract work, located all over the US. I
have no clue how any of this is done WRT to SmallTalk. How does
contracting work? I'm a bit scared of the offered pay WRT health
care/Life insurance cost. If it's not competitive, and can't pay me
enough to afford healthcare, and still have a Java scale wage left over,
I'll take a permanent JAVA position anyday.

	I LOVE SmallTalk, I'd love to learn more and make a living at it. It's
a great language, and the development env is still lightyears ahead of
anything else out there.

	How does all this temp/contract stuff work? Are there any places that
help you set the necessary support framework?

	I assume, if you are working remotely, you'll need dial-up access,
incorporate yourself as a company ( provides several tax and liability
benefits ), find a source for health care and life insurance, etc etc.

	Is there any FAQ on the web on being a ST contractor?

	It seems that most positions involve this kind of work.

	I'm all for earning a year's Java pay in 6 months of SmallTalking. But
it does me no good if I can't get this set up.

	Daniel