[OT]Re: Sphere

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Aug 11 17:57:32 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > My own guess is that Apple will, sooner or later, have to drop Mac OS in
> > favour of OSX.
> OSX _is_ MacOS; they've simply finally done the sensible thing and put a
> real bottom layer under all the fluffy bits that make a machine more
> than a dead commandline machine. I just wish Acorn had got around to
> doing the same thing.

Aaaaarggghhh! I really don't want to talk about Macs: I can't afford one
and I don't know anyone (except virtually) who can. We are poor folk
;-).

But it seems to me that you can't argue (and it's an argument by
definition!) that "OSX _is_ MacOS" when they're still shipping the
things with OS8 (or whatever) -- or at least, they were last time I
looked.

Where do we differ? Am I substantially wrong when I say that OSX looks
to be a sort of high speed collision between BSD, Mach and a front end
(aka fluffy bits) designed IIRC by the Nautilus folk?

Where is the OS? In the fluffy bits?

Cheers

John