General Stability of Squeak + Hi.

robin robin at sublime.org
Sun Aug 12 12:28:24 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm new to squeak as well as this list, so hello to everyone.  As a child, I had a lot of fun programming systems, using basic, assembly language, and C.  As an adult, I've made my living doing a variety of technical jobs, including programming c++, perl, and for the last couple of years, a load of java.  I found myself drawn to computers as a child because I found them fun and a lot more stimulating than most of the other things around me.  At work, I've managed to keep learning and diversifying my understanding.  I often gain satifaction from my work, and I appreciate the beauty and intentions of all the languages I've programmed, but I haven't had a lot of real fun with them.  I've finally found squeak, and so far I've not been disappointed - it's been stimulating, exiting and fun.  I only wish I'd had it as a child.

I was just wondering how stable I should expect squeak to be in general.  I'm running 3.1, feb 28th, and I've had it crash on me a couple of times.

Firstly was when I sent storeString to a set which contained a few of my own objects which each referenced a TextMorph.  I'm assuming that I indirectly asked the system to 'serialize' a very large number of objects - I've had this kind of thing happen in java rmi where a careless reference can lead to a whole system being 'sucked' from one vm to another.

More recently, I was experimenting with morphic scripting and the system stopped responding after some gesture I made with the scripting tiles - dropping one tile onto another or some such action.

In both cases, the squeak system wasn't totally dead - it was still responding as far as windows was concerned.  With the first crash, there wasn't much cpu activity but the vm kept growing for a long time.  The second time, squeak went to 99% cpu.

Basically, all I'm really asking is how stable should I expect squeak to be?  I realise that's a kind of 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question,  and I'm quickly learning to save images whenever I've done any meaningful work.

Regards,

-Robin Barooah