[OT]Re: Sphere

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 04:58:09 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

//snipped//

> Feel free to use it or not, as you like.

Andrew, as I state, it's not a matter of "feeling free". It never has
been. And I don't need your permission, thank you.

> Until you do, however, please
> recognize that the conclusions you reached are based upon assumptions
> drawn from speculation and ignorance.

By all means, feel free to criticise me on the basis of assertions, or
conclusions, I make.

Do I make any? Do I offer that they are anything but speculations? I
think not. Do I attempt to mislead the gullible? I think not. I admit to
my ignorance *in the thread*! Just about everything I say is prefaced by
"looks to be" "I guess", "it seems to me"......

>> My own guess is that Apple will, sooner or later, have to drop Mac OS in
>> favour of OSX. That is, if it remains in the software business at all.

It's a "guess" -- a speculation I own to. Others have asserted that Mac
have dropped Mac OS and that OSX "really is" Mac OS. Sun might (again,
speculation) seem to be moving to drop out of the software market to
concentrate on hardware. Note: I say nothing about Apple disappearing in
a puff of blue smoke and I don't see Sun as about to, either.

> > You could argue that the combination is
> > exquisite and that a microkernel is a must have, but to me it seems like
> > an idea 5 years too late (and, what, 10 years after Jobs originally
> > started pushing it?)

You seem to be arguing that the combination is exquisite. There, I make
your argument for you!

(But I still think it's 5 years too late.)

Sheeesh.....I set *myself* up as a strawman and get kicked in the
goolies to boot! One might ask who is stereotyping who here!

Cheers

John